Wednesday, September 12, 2007

background on my job

So I work in the Government Publications and Maps section of an academic library. Mostly I (re)shelve documents. They say there are other responsibilities, but I can't imagine that I will ever get the thousands of documents in my work station put back where they belong in order to move on to other tasks. I like the shelving though, it's like rolling silverware with just a tad more intellect required.

Here are some things I have learned in my first week.

1. The government produces a whole lotta shit. The size of our collection is immense. It's like a big scary maze of capitalism, bureaucracy, and dead trees. It's not all books either like you might think. No, there are pamphlets, binders, manila envelopes, and tiny little pieces of paper that have writing on them the size of those baby bibles people carry around. Most infuriating are the single pieces of paper that arrive. Yep, just one piece of individual paper, but there are thousands of them. I have already learned to hate the section Y4. Every time shelve something, lo and behold, I find 8 things that are in the ridiculously wrong spot. It's almost like the government must send in interlopers--"You want to find out what the we're is up to? HA HA! We'll put a stop to that!"**

2. The government likes to make the material look a lot more interesting than it is. I always thought that the boring publications of the US government would have titles as equally exciting, but no, many of them look like they were produced in Hollywood for the big screen like- "Terrorists on a plane!". I think one out of every three things I shelved the other day had the word scandal in its heading.

3. Several of the Muslims on campus feel the need (or I doubtfully suppose want) to pray amongst the government documents. I seriously don't think it is because they want to express their appreciation to the federal government. Rather, I suspect it's because it is the one place on the campus where literally no one seems to go. And while the born-again Christians can dominate every inch of free space on campus with their signs, tables, flyers, and selves, those who don't fit that mold are forced to retreat to the dingy, poorly lit, musty basement.

4. I will soon turn into a government popsicle. Apparently to ensure that no one dare read any of these millions of materials that the government spits out, the temperature is kept hovering around an oh-so pleasant 50 degrees. The few people who retreat to the basement for the quiet are well versed in this fact. It looks like we all live in the fine but freezing state of Wisconsin. Bundled in hoodies (with the hoods up for that extra bit of warmth), breathing on our hands or wearing gloves, taking breaks to walk around to keep the frostbite off the toes. Seriously, I thought I applied for a job at the library, not to be the next Survivorman! Perhaps he should come spend a week trying to survive in the basement. There are plenty of things to burn.

**I believe this was a rider on the Freedom of Information Act

No comments: